The yarn is Mary Maxim’s Starlette (worsted-weight acrylic), from my stash. I had two partial skeins. The light pink is shade 84. The darker pink is 921 95, if I read the label correctly. I used a US size 8 circular needle.
Total yarn usage: who knows. Sorry, y’all, I didn’t weigh or measure it when I started, so it’ll take someone with better math or guestimation skills than mine to figure it out.
[Instructions below copied from blog post on 11/12/10. See picture on that post.]
I used the more plentiful of the two partial skeins, a soft antique pink, to start at one cuff and knit a sleeve, flat. I cast on 25 stitches, leaving a foot of yarn dangling to sew up the first sleeve later, and did 12 rows of K1P1 rib, then knit in stockinette until I got to the other cuff. I increased three times (one stitch on either edge) about 6 rows apart on the first sleeve, then continued knitting in stockinette without increases for about 6-7 inches (to go across Arianna’s back). When it looked like the piece was long enough and that it was time to make the second sleeve, I continued in stockinette, while decreasing three times (one stitch on either edge) about 6 rows apart. When I was back down to 25 stitches on the needle, I knit two rows of stockinette, then began K1P1 ribbing again. I did 12 rows and cast off in pattern, leaving about a foot of yarn dangling, so I could use it to stitch up the second sleeve.
I used the mattress stitch to seam up each sleeve to the point where I’d stopped increasing, then wove in the ends.
I wanted to make a collar/facing around the open part of the shrug and I still had a bit of the lighter pink yarn left, but not enough to finish the project, so I used the darker pink to pick up stitches all around the open edges between the two sleeves. I started halfway across one of the back edges, somewhat arbitrarily deciding that point would be the lower center back. I finagled the picked up stitches to have multiples of 4 (96 in total), then knit in the round in a K2P2 pattern for 8 rows/rounds. To tie the look of the two yarns together, I switched back to the lighter pink and knit 6 more rounds in K2P2, stopping only when it looked like I was gonna run out of that yarn. I bound off in K2P2,with only 2 feet of that yarn left.