Yarn: Panda Superwash by Crystal Palace Yarns in colorway# 9812 “Violets”. The yarn is 51% bamboo, 39# superwash wool and 10% nylon. Each 50g skein was supposed to be 186 yds or 172 meters long, although there was a couple of yards’ difference between the two. I used one skein per sock.
Needle: US size 2 circular (Addi Turbo)
Notions: Stitch markers for the short-row heels, tapestry needle for weaving in the ends.
Pattern: improvised toe-up socks, starting with Judy’s Magic Cast-On, over 30 stitches (I think)… in stockinette… increased to 66 stitches in the foot. Knit the top half of the stitches in k1p1 throughout, the bottom half in stockinette over the balls of the feet and the heels. Heels are short-row style. I had to increase (don’t remember how much and can’t find my notes, if I ever made any) for the ankle/leg portion, as I am not a dainty-legged creature. Then I worked the legs in k1p1 until I was running out of yarn. (That’s the magic of toe-up socks: you can use up all the yarn and not have to worry about running out before you’re ready to end the things.) I did a loose k1p1 bind-off, et voilà!
Here’s the photo:
I started these things sometime in mid-April and had the feet finished by May 2 (per my blog entries). I don’t remember when I finished them, as I mostly ignored them after that. I think they were finished in August, but with the loose ends dangling until just before I took that photo in September.
As they’re designed for and intended to be worn by me, I didn’t feel any pressure to work on them. And in fact, I haven’t worn them yet either. They’re thick and soft though, so perhaps our current cool snap of weather will remedy that situation.